Friday, January 22, 2016

Update and thoughts about Juicing.

Started tracking my weight.  Was 290 last week at 288 today. 


Been also tracking my food on Sparkpeople.com.  While I have not been good about what I eat all the time, it's a good habit to get into.  My toughest time of the day is Dinner and evening snacking.  I need to focus on doing the right thing during those times.


Watched two documentaries about Juice fasting. 


Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead, follows a 60 day Juice fast that Joe Cross did while crossing the US.  Very inspirational and informative.   The second half of this shows where someone Joe met during the documentary contacted him for help.  The guy was morbidly obese at 420-some lbs.  The guy had some fantastic results eventually losing over 200 lbs over time.  Joe offers guided plans on his website along with several books. 


Super Juice Me - The Big Juice Experiment, this one follows 8 people chosen by Jason Vale to participate in a 28 day juice fast at a retreat.  Each person had their own set of health issues and most struggled with being overweight.  It was very interesting seeing the people go through the first few days of withdrawal and detox.  Over all they all did very well and were far healthier than when they started.  Jason also offers several books.


Watching these caused me to think about adding juice to my diet with the possibility of doing a juice fast of some sort if I found that I liked the juice.   I started out looking for a juice bar locally, almost all the ones I found were not juicing they were making smoothies, which while healthy was different than juicing in how quickly the nutrients get absorbed into your system.  I did find two places that had juice.   The first was the local Whole Foods, technically not a juice bar they create cold pressed juice mixes each morning.  Typically 5-6 different drinks at a cost of $6.99 and $7.99.  They are created using organic fruits and vegetables.   I've tried 3 different blends and have liked the taste of all 3.  Only one with pineapple juice messed with my stomach. The second juice bar was an actual juice bar in our local Earth Fair market.  Only problem is they are closing the store this month and the juice bar was already shutdown.


This has led me to start looking for a home juicer as buying from Whole Foods was going to be too expensive.   I'm currently looking into two Breville models.   The JE98XL is a two speed juicer, one speed for softer fruits and veggies and the other for harder ones.  Just started looking at the BJE510XL.  This has the same base features of the 98XL but has 5 speeds, which will allow me to get the most juice from the fruits and veggies that are neither soft nor hard but in the middle speeds.


EBAY is proving to be troublesome with getting a good used one at a decent price.   New ones are there and their prices are reasonable.  But I've also found that the manufacture sells remanufactured ones for about what I've seen used ones go for.  Bed Bath and Beyond carries them but even with a 20% off one item coupon it doesn't beat any of the prices I have found elsewhere.  Avoid going to Kohls as the Breville juicers are excluded from any of their special deals.  Had a 30% off one item coupon but couldn't use it. 


Will update later after I get the juicer and give a review along with first impressions of using it to supplement my diet. 

No comments: