Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Long Road

Today I start a long journey, one I believe will leave me healthier and happier.  As with any new undertaking it requires a bit of background explaining where we have been and how we arrived where this new journey must start.

The Past

As a child I consider myself to have been rather average fitness wise, I was neither scrawny or chubby.  I wasn't overly athletic in the sense of sports.  My brothers and I spent most of our days running around the neighborhood and less time inside doing less active activities.

As I entered high school and early adulthood, my activity levels were decrease and I started spending more time with friends in activities that involved sitting around.  During these times my diet took a rather poor turn as massive amounts of sugar was ingested during our marathon late night sessions. 

Shortly after high school, I met and married my loving wife.  Being newlyweds and having a increased income this led us to eating out many nights a week.  This certainly played a part in my slow down slide with my weight.  The decrease activity and increase going out to eat continued for many years.  The births of my three children only reinforced the bad habits I had learned of the past 5-10 years.

The Present

Currently my lifestyle is a big part of my current issues with weight and in part my general health level.  At work I sit 8+ hours a day at a computer screen for work.  I get little to no exercise each day, with the only real exercise being taking the dog for a short walk.  The remainder of my day is either spent sitting on the couch watching TV or in front of a computer.

My daily meals consists of pastries and coffee for breakfast, fast food for lunch (including regular soda) and a half way healthy meal for dinner, which sometimes turns into fast food if my wife and me are too tired to cook.  In between meals I'd snack on candy bars or chips with another soda throw in.  By late evening I always found myself hungry and would snack on something as late as 10:30 at night.

I am tired of being tired.

The Future

Only God above knows what the future holds for me.  I can only do my best to plan and move forward with that plan.  Below are my beginning plans, these are very basic and lacking details as I am unsure exactly what I'm going to do.  Over the weeks and months I will be dedicating posts to each category.

  • Exercise 
    • I'm currently leaning toward doing more low impact aerobic exercises.  I loved working out on an elyptical machine a couple years back.   This will be one of my primary form of exercise starting.  
    • Later I will probably add some very light weight work. 
    • As energy returns I look to bike and hike more.
  • Diet   
    • Breakfast will consist mainly of Oatmeal with fruit along with something that add protein.    
    • Lunch will consist of a meal replacement.  Currently I am researching the various products.  ProGrade: Lean looks interesting and I'll probably give that a try first.
    • Dinner will consist of more vegetables and fruits with a lean meat.  
    • No more soda, lots more water.
    • Healthy snacks, such as fruit and vegetables, ones specifically picked to stave off hunger and further snacking.

I will be posting a weekly update with my progress and posting the details on just what seems to be working and what doesn't.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

If I remember correctly you like tea. I have read multiple studies that show green tea increases your metabolism which results is weight-loss. This might be a good way to boost your weight-loss and not get bored of water.

It is great that you like the elliptical! Just remember the more you do one exercise the more efficient your body gets at doing that exercise. Granted it will take time for your body to get efficient at it but once you feel your weight loss has slowed you can mix it up to boost your metabolism again. You can do this by walking on the treadmill here and there or hitting the bike. Your idea of hitting trails is another great way to switch it up!

Another way you can mix it up if your real set on only doing elliptical is changing your speed or resistance. You can also do intervals, 2 min slow walk 2 min fast walk and repeat for your allotted time. Intervals are the best burn for your time.

I have told you this before and I will keep saying it over and over :) One of the best things you could do to lose weight is log your food! I am so passionate about this because I feel you really can learn so much by logging. I could talk to you till I am blue in the face about good foods and bad foods but logging at caloriecount.com will help by grading your choices. Logging will really open your eyes to how many calories you are truly eating in a day. It will also be great info for your site :)

http://caloriecount.about.com

Sparkpeople is a great resource site as well. I like caloriecount better for logging but Sparkpeople has a plethora of healthy recipes.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/

Another tip is measure everything! My idea of a serving was well off from a true serving. I measured everything for awhile there until I learned and felt comfortable eyeing it.
I like a cheat day or splurge day. Some health people are for it some not so much. I like it because as i'm sure you have seen I like desert. I would pick one day a week to have a desert. This way I did not feel like I am missing out on anything. You can use this day to have a meal you love that is not so healthy as well. Some people like a cheat day once a month, some do it every other week. It is really up to you. I find it is easier to stick to a lifestyle change if you allow yourself the things you love once in awhile.

Last tip for now, never eat from the bag. A bag is endless and it is hard to figure out how much you truly ate. Measure it out so you are in controll of what you are eating.

Like Jim already offered if you want to come over early on Saturdays we will walk with you around the neighborhood. This will help you mix it up too!

I am excited to follow your journey to a heathier you!

Corwin.EoL said...

Thanks Janet. BTW the Protein powder mixed easily into my oatmeal this morning. I took my weight and measured my waist yesterday. Will post the starting numbers today or tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Did you mix it in after you heated it up for before?

Corwin.EoL said...

Afterwards.